Visa and Documents

You may need a Tier 4 Student Visa to study in the UK. Here are some of the most commonly asked questions, along with links to other pieces of helpful information.

What Type of Visa Do I Need to Study in The UK?

As an applicant from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) you will normally need a Tier 4 (General) student visa.
To check this is the right visa for you, visit the UK Visa and Immigration website.

What Do I Need to Apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa?

Before applying, you must meet the following criteria, which make up the 40 points required for a Tier 4 visa:

  • A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the University: 30 points.
  • Evidence that you have funds to cover tuition fees for the first year of the course and to cover the required living costs (maintenance): 10 points. You would need to show this in your or your parents’ bank account for 28 consecutive days before you make your visa application. If you are in receipt of Official Financial Sponsorship you will need to show evidence of this in an original letter

The University of Portsmouth is on the UK government’s Register of Education and Training Providers, and on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Register of Sponsors Licensed under the Points Based System. Our Sponsor Licence Number (SLN) on this register is 926WMQQ73. This number is needed to support a Tier 4 visa application.

What Is a Cas and How Can I Get One?

A CAS is a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies. Once you have accepted your unconditional offer, completed the Tier 4 Eligibility Questionnaire, paid the deposit (where needed) and obtained Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance (if required for your course), we will provide you with a CAS number for your visa application. As a sponsor, we are bound by law to abide by the regulations set out under the Tier 4 Sponsor Guidance. We may have to make checks on academic progression, length of time spent studying in the UK and financial capabilities of students prior to issuing a CAS.

Deadline for issuing confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS)
Deadline date: Early September 2020 (subject to change). If you apply close to the deadline date, the University may contact you to discuss your circumstances before making a final decision on whether it is appropriate to issue you with
a CAS statement. You may be asked to provide evidence that you are able to arrange your visa application and arrive in good time.

Your application also requires our Department of Student and Academic Administration address, which is: MyPort Information Hub, c/o Tier 4 Compliance, University of Portsmouth, Nuffield Centre, St Michael’s Road, Portsmouth, PO1 2ED. If you have any more questions about the Tier 4 visa process, email tier4-visa@ port.

Where can I find out more about visas and applying?

  • UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)
  • UK Visas and Immigration

You can find out more about applying to the University of Portsmouth here:
Who can I contact at the university about visas?
Please contact our International Student Advice Team

Collecting Your Biometric Residence Permit (Brp)

When completing your visa application form, please state you wish to collect your visa from an alternative location. You will need to enter this code: 2HE479. This will mean your BRP card will be available to collect during registration at the University.

How Can I Apply for a Student Visa?

Visit the UK Visas and Immigration website to apply for your visa. The earliest you can make a visa application is three months before your course starts.

Do I Need to Pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (Ihs)?

You will need to pay this if you are applying to the UK to study for a period of more than six months. You will also need to pay the IHS if you are already in the UK and apply to extend your stay. The charge is per student and per dependent (should there be any) per year of study, payable at the time of visa application. If the surcharge is required, but not paid, the application will be refused or treated as invalid and rejected.
Guidance is available on

I Am Already in the UK, How Can I Get a Visa?

If you are already in the UK and hold a student Tier 4 student visa for a different institution, you will still need to apply for a new student visa. You will not be able to register onto your new course until you have have applied for a new visa. Find out more by visiting or by contacting the International Student Advice Team